Darren Hanlon @ the B-Side at One Lucky Guitar (5/23/15)

I woke up on Saturday morning, made some coffee, and checked in on the internet.  One of the first things I saw was an Instagram post from Darren Hanlon saying he’d left New York City at 3:00 a.m. on a bus headed for Fort Wayne, Indiana.  He was still on that bus while I was lounging about in my front room with a fresh cup of coffee.  That decided it.  If Darren Hanlon was willing to spend 15 hours on a bus to Fort Wayne, then I could drive the seven hours (round-trip) to see his show there.

I planned my route, packed a bag, and drove to Fort Wayne, Indiana.

indiana

(somewhere in Indiana)

I got to the B-Side at One Lucky Guitar at around 5:00.  As far as I can tell, the B-Side doubles as the conference room for a design firm called One Lucky Guitar.  That’s why the name is such a mouthful.  The conference room angle makes it sound like a makeshift venue, but it was actually a very nice place.  I don’t think I’ve ever been to a music club that featured my choice of five clean bathrooms.  They also had free cupcakes…and a velvet Bruce Springsteen painting.  But I’m getting ahead of myself.

b-side at one lucky guitar

(the B-Side at One Lucky Guitar is upstairs)

I had three hours to explore Fort Wayne before the doors opened at 8:00.  I checked out a couple record stores and looked for a place to eat.  The highlight of my explorations was seeing some girders.

girder district

(…)

I went back to the B-Side.  I took a picture of the “marquee”.

darren hanlon marquee

(Yoga. Healing. Arts. Darren.)

Then I went in and saw that the people running things had more than made up for their marquee with their concert poster.  The poster shows why it’s a good idea to combine a design firm with a music venue.  That’s got to be one of my favorite concert posters ever.  I especially like the cat down at the bottom left and how her tail hangs over onto the white.

darren hanlon poster

(Darren Hanlon concert poster)

I found a good seat right up front and waited for Darren to come down from the One Lucky Guitar workspace into the conference room.

darren goes here

(Darren goes here.)

I didn’t have to wait long.  Darren came on down, picked up his acoustic guitar, and began playing “Title Fight: Heart v Mind”.  That’s got to be one of his oldest songs, so it was a nice surprise to hear it.  I’d never heard him play it live before.  There were a few other songs–both old and recent–that were new to me in a concert setting.  I guess I’ll just go ahead and share the setlist.

Main set: – Title Fight: Heart v Mind/Electric Skeleton/Folk Insomnia/I Waited For the 17/Butterfly Bones/Scenes From a Separation/Punk’s Not Dead/Home/All These Things/Fear of the Civil War/The Chattanooga Shoot Shoot

Encore: – When You Go/Elbows

Now that I count them, I see Darren only played 13 songs.  That doesn’t sound like many at all, but he also told stories about free pie, What About Bob?, a punk rock house, the new album, playing for school kids, Spooner Oldham’s question, scary Australian movies, etc., and his songs–like this poorly-crafted sentence–tend to have a lot of words in them.  Some of the songs like “I Waited For the 17” and “The Chattanooga Shoot Shoot” are quite long.  Those two were both highlights for me.  I also enjoyed “Scenes From a Separation” and getting to hear a version of “Fear of the Civil War” without the saxophone bit.

The low points of the evening were all audience-related.  There was a loud, boorish woman in the back who interrupted Darren’s stories and mocked his accent, and a dude up front who thought his outdoor whistle was an indoor one.  I probably wouldn’t have been bothered by the whistler if I hadn’t caught his wife recording me with her cell phone before the show.  Whistling is generally a happy thing and should be encouraged.

I bought a poster after the concert and had Darren sign it for me.  It looks like he signed his name “Darn Hanlon”.  I got a kick out of that.  I didn’t get a chance to really talk to him as the whistler and his wife were bogarting the talent.  I ate a free cupcake and drove on home.  I got back at a little after 1:30 a.m.  It was a good trip.

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Darren Hanlon @ the B-Side at One Lucky Guitar (5/23/15)

Was the poster you got the same as the one on the door or is it the mustard and gray bus one that I ordered and recently framed?
    Why was Whistler’s Wife recording you?
    YAY Electric Skeleton! That might be my favorite song of his.
    How big of a crowd was it?

The poster I purchased is the same as the one shown above (except mine doesn’t have the BYOB sticker on it). The mustard and gray bus one sounds pretty cool, though. Darren hasn’t come through your town yet…did you order the poster from Flippin Yeah?

I was brushing my teeth on the sidewalk. I guess that merits a not-very-sneaky phone video these days.

I counted 40 people. That’s far more than I’ve ever seen at a Darren Hanlon show in Cincinnati (or Newport, KY). I got the impression that One Lucky Guitar has pretty strong support in the community. There probably aren’t many national acts who stop by Fort Wayne either.

• crankypants says:

I did order the bus one from FY, and it’s signed and numbered (both in pencil) It also has the album title as “Where Do You Come From?”
        Wow, brushing your teeth on the sidewalk huh.
        I guess it’s exactly three weeks till his show here. I guess I better start listening to the new album nonstop again!
        OH what scary Australian movies was he talking about? Was Wolf Creek one? We discussed that one a little in 2010 after his show.

I went over and checked out your poster inbetween comments. I like it a lot and bet it looks even better framed. You gotta Instagram that thing. (I just found out Instagram exists two weeks ago and like to make public references to it to appear hip.)

Dental hygiene doesn’t stop on a rock ‘n’ roll road trip. If anything, it becomes more important.

Yes, Wolf Creek. And something called Razorback. It was supposedly the Australian version of Jaws except it featured a scary pig instead of a shark.

What other kind of merch did he have?

The merch table contained your standard selection of Darren Hanlon CDs. The only things I’d never seen before were the “When You Go” CD single and the new album on vinyl. The cover art design looks really sharp on the larger format. I didn’t buy it, though.

In addition to the music, there was a white t-shirt with a reclining guy on it and a tea towel. I’m in hot water for not getting Beth the tea towel.

• crankypants says:

Well I’ll get one for her and one for me if he has them in Philly!

Thanks for picking up on that incredibly subtle hint. She’s worried that the Darren Hanlon tea towels will sell out before he plays Seattle in July.

• homebody says:

Oo oo oo thank you!!!

• crankypants says:

No problem! Just keep your fingers crossed they have 2 left by Philly. Someone I know from tumblr got a SOUVENIR SPOON a couple years ago. I think someone bought the last one and she was upset and someone dug one up from somewhere and sent it to her. That’s how I recall but I don’t think she ever posted a picture. A souvenir spoon. That’s like the best thing ever.
            Also how many times have you guys seen him? I have only seen him once. I’m pretty sure you two have seen him at least twice by now. There’s a house party in DC the Friday before my show but I am having a visitor that evening. I don’t know if I’d have gone though.

3. Lurkertype says:

I love how Darren remains the Official Musician of former-Vox Peeps.