In which two collections collide…again.

As some of you probably know by now, I have a small collection of vintage photographs featuring women on boats.  I also have a lesser known collection of photos showing people with old record players.  One time these two collections overlapped when I found a picture of a woman on a rowboat with a record player.  It seemed like a strange thing to have on the water and buying the photo made me far happier than it probably should have.  Although I’ve already posted it, I’d like to share it again:

vinyl boatTwo years went by.

I now have a saved search on eBay that spits out most of the black and white photographs featuring women on boats.  It takes some of the fun out of the hunt, but it also makes things a lot easier.  I skim the feed a couple times a week.  Most of the search results don’t interest me, but I occasionally click on one to get a closer look.  This little thumbnail came through a couple weeks ago:

vinyl boat againSomething about that tiny image set off an alarm.  I clicked on it and was surprised to see it turn into this:

vinyl boat againYes, it’s the same woman from the photograph I bought two years ago!  What are the chances?  She’s still got her record player and is wearing the same outfit, but now we can see that there’s a friendly-looking fellow in the rowboat with her.

Not only is this another photograph that fits into both collections, but it answers a question that always bothers me when looking at old snapshots…who was behind the camera?  Well, the guy at the oars must’ve taken that first picture.  Now if only I could figure out who took the second one.  I’m also curious about what they were listening to on that record player.  Maybe I’ll find the answers to these questions in a couple more years.

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to In which two collections collide…again.

1. Jane says:

I reckon it was another couple – friends of theirs. You could probably hire boats. The record player is funny – it doesn’t look as if they have anything else like food or towels.

Maybe the food and towels were in the other boat (or on the pier) with the mysterious third person. Or maybe they just wanted to listen to a few tunes on the water and didn’t bother with the rest of it.

How fun is that???
    Gathering information and putting clues together. Keep searching.

I’ll bet they were listening to Jo Stafford.

I’ve got Go-Betweens on the brain, so that’s all I can imagine coming out of the tiny record player…despite the fact that the picture probably predated the band by about 35 years.

the boat which says “I” can make man proceed from a psycho-analysis of the cave to a genuine poetics of exploration. -Roland Barth

5. steph says:

I love that you found two photos of this clearly awesome lady. Wish I knew what they were listening to.

6. chowmeyow says:

This is so very incredible.

I collect old photographs as well – my current two favorite categories are: people who have awkwardly stopped eating food and turned to the camera for a photo and children with dogs or other animals. I’m now curious about whether I have any women on boats or people with record players – I’ll take a look soon.

I dug through my collection and found one that might fit in with your food series. This woman looks like she was caught off guard with a mouthful of something. I thought it was a fun shot when I bought it, but now all I see is the annoying slippered foot down at the bottom.

• chowmeyow says:

I like her! Very classic “caught eating” photo.

I found this woman on a sailboat. I think she is lovely and looks very happy to be on the boat:
        Woman on a Boat

Now that I have my scanner out I think I’ll upload some more photos to flickr and maybe feature some on my blog soon. They are fun to collect – I like buying old photos and postcards. It’s a fun reason to go into antique stores (although I never need a reason) and are usually fairly inexpensive. I like to go through them at stores and select just one or two favorites to buy. And as a collection, it doesn’t take up a lot of room.

7. Delia says:

That’s an interesting story in two photos. This things work probably better when you don’t actively look for answers. I love it when things fall together out of the blue.
    Good luck with finding the rest of the story.

I also like it when “things fall together out of the blue”. That’s really what happened here, too. I found two photos of the same person taken on the same day, but found them two years apart…without actively looking. There must’ve been a million pictures posted on eBay during that time. It seems highly unlikely.

As far as the rest of the story goes, I don’t expect to see these two again.