Richard Buckner @ My House (5/19/14)

If you’ve been paying any attention at all, then you know that I volunteered to host the Cincinnati stop of Richard Buckner’s ongoing Living Room Tour.  I’m happy to report that the concert went off without a hitch last night.  Yes, one of my favorite singers showed up at my house with a guitar case and a bag of records and was singing “Witness” from my high school homework chair just five minutes later.  The word surreal gets thrown around a lot these days, but I can’t think of a better word to describe how last night felt.

You see, most of my dreams consist of random people who shouldn’t be together doing things that would never actually happen in the real world.  But Scott really was hanging out at my dining room table.  Charlie was sitting on the floor on some weird yoga beanbag-thing.  My mom was tapping her toes.  My dad was keeping noisy time on a can of Mountain Dew.  People I’d never seen before were all over the place.  Richard Buckner was singing “Lil Wallet Picture” with an all-robin chorus chirping along from the backyard.  Making it even weirder and adding to the dreamlike quality of the evening was the fact that an old Chicago roommate who I hadn’t seen or spoken to in over a decade showed up (not even knowing I was the host).  And he’s the one who introduced me to Richard Buckner’s music all the way back in 1997!

This all happened last night.  At least I think it did.  The truth is that I disregarded the old adage that advises “your third drink will lead you astray” and accidentally drank four beers.  And the one with the polar bear on the label was a gigantic beer.  I think it probably counted as three additional drinks.  So last night is all kind of a blur…a big happy, awesome blur.

But anyway, enough with the rambles.  Richard Buckner was great.  I thought he might treat the show like an in-store performance and play a dozen songs, but he went all out and sang 23.  That’s more than he played when I saw him at the Tractor Tavern last year.  He played a wide variety of songs off albums ranging from Bloomed (1994) to Surrounded (2013).  I think he hit all of his major releases except for Since.  As always, here’s the setlist:

Setlist: Witness/Mood/Figure/The Worst Way/Dusty From the Talk/Collusion/When You Tell Me How It Is/Escape/Cradle to the Angel/Loaded at the Wrong Door/Surrounded/Born Into Giving It Up/Lil Wallet Picture/Ed’s Song–>Cut/Kingdom/Blue and Wonder/Julia Miller/Beautiful Question/Song of 27/Before/Put on What You Wanna/Gauzy Dress in the Sun

And here are some concert-related pics and scans including my usual handwritten setlist notes and Richard Buckner’s “Chair of the Night” Facebook update.  Also, please notice that the real man showed up wearing the same outfit as Lil Lego Buckner:

Special thanks go out to Beth and Scott and Amy and Cranky for getting the word out on Twitter when I refused to get an account. Also, thanks to Richard and all the people who bought tickets. Everyone was a lot nicer than I thought they’d be.

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Richard Buckner @ My House (5/19/14)

This is the best concert review ever. I’m so happy it happened!

I’m glad I went for it and opened up my house, but I’m kind of sad that you weren’t able to make it. I think you would’ve enjoyed the show. Maybe you’ll be able to come to my next event…the Darren Hanlon Pool Party/Living Room Concert/Pinball Tournament.

2. Laurie says:

Little Lego Buckner is quite the dead ringer for the real one! Nice to hear the event went off so well.

Yeah, I’m glad the real RB didn’t show up wearing a yellow tracksuit or something like that. He played right into my hand outfit-wise.

3. amyhftw says:

Fantastic! Sounds like everyone had a great time, including you and Richard, which means it really went off great. Nice work!

I don’t know if Richard Buckner had a great time, but he didn’t appear to be annoyed with the way things went. He was friendly and thanked me a couple times for acting as the host. I’m sure he would’ve preferred to sell more tickets, but I think he made up for some of that with the post-show merch sales. Even my mom bought a CD.

But who won Lil Lego Buckner Dollbaby?
    I myself am looking forward to the Darren Hanlon Pinball Pool Party Cat-petting extravaganza.

This is so cool! I was sort of wondering all along if this was real. I’m glad to see it was!

It wasn’t until those first couple of strangers showed up carrying a six pack that it dawned on me that I was really going to host a concert. I guess I thought the whole thing would fall through up until then. I’m glad it really happened…otherwise I’d have to go back and delete a bunch of posts.

6. Scott says:

It is clear evidence of some imbalance in my life that it’s taken me a week to see and respond to this post–at 1:45 in the morning. But yes, I had a great time. I don’t know Richard’s catalog in much depth yet, but there were a few I recognized, and the rest were good too. Sorry if I fled the scene without saying goodbye properly. It just sort of seemed like people were moving for the door and I was going to get trampled. Ha ha, not really! I can’t get trampled. People would actually have bounced off me and been unable to leave.

I’m glad to hear that you had a good time. Sorry I went chasing and hollering after you as you tried to make your getaway. I just wanted to give you a proper goodbye and a thank you for showing up in the first place. I know we talked briefly in the kitchen, but it felt like I didn’t get enough Scott time.

7. steph says:

Man, what a cool thing to host- and how charming! The only house shows I’ve gone to have been sorely lacking in backyard robin choruses.

There were other less charming noises. It turns out that my hardwood floor is incredibly squeaky. I’d never really noticed before. I had to tip-toe into the kitchen to get my beer!

8. Pingback: The Best Things I Heard All Year (2014) | Outgoing Signals

9. Pingback: Richard Buckner @ the Columbia City Theater (7/24/16) | Outgoing Signals

10. Pingback: Richard Buckner @ MOTR Pub (8/6/16) | Outgoing Signals