Marion Timm, friend to animals

I was bored a few weekends ago, so I decided to dig around the internet to see if I could learn more about Marion and Herb Timm. They’re the married couple whose old snapshots I’ve been salvaging from a Seattle antiques store over the last year. I’ve got more than fifty of them.

I confirmed that Marion and Herb are both dead. This didn’t come as a surprise to me–if either of them were still alive, they probably would’ve kept their photographs–but it still made me kind of sad. They both lived long lives, though. Herb died in 1994 at the age of 82. Marion died in 2008 at the age of 92.

The only other thing I learned that’s worth mentioning here is that Marion’s estate donated $1,000+ to the Seattle Humane Society in the year following her death. That got me thinking about how many of my pictures of Marion show her with animals. She seems to have been a cat person who had many feline friends throughout her life (Blackie I, Blackie II, Ashes), but it appears that she was also fond of donkeys and cows. See what I mean:

And sometimes Herb got into the act. This picture was taken on September 6, 1947 near a place called Silverton. It’s the companion piece to that first shot of Marion shown above:

herb with donkey

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Marion Timm, friend to animals

Oh wow. This is really really cool.
    It makes me feel all emotional that you have so many of their pics. Like it was “meant to be”….or something mystical.
    They look like lovely people who loved life and critters. I feel like I almost know them.

I can assure you that there’s nothing mystical going on here. I thought this picture of Marion smoking and drinking was awesome and bought it. Then the collector in me took over…specifically the collector who believes inanimate objects have feelings and that all the pictures wanted to live together in my closet.

Regardless, I’m happy you like the snapshots. I really enjoy piecing together Marion and Herb’s history and sharing it here.

2. Jane says:

It’s a bit sad that nobody in the family wanted the photos – unless they didn’t have family of course. A friend of mine bought a scrapbook at a garage sale once that had belonged to an Australian woman documenting her trip to England in the early fifties. All her ship menus and tickets from shows she went to, photos etc, it was sad that it was all so special to her but didn’t mean anything to the person who threw it away.

I’ve read Marion’s obituary and there’s no reference to any children or surviving relatives.

It’s strange (funny?) how the things that are often most important to us are things that would be garbage to just about anyone else. I’ve got 24 years of handwritten journals that are the first items I’d try to save in case of a house fire, but I suspect they’ll get tossed in the recycling bin the day after I die.

• Jane says:

That’s what I always say to my husband – you may as well stop hoarding all this stuff because we’re just going to throw it away when you die.

3. Laurie says:

I never would have thought that someone would want a stranger’s photos, it warms my heart a little that you do want this collection. I would consider personal snaps the most useless thing to anyone not in the pictures or blood-related. Nice to have a different perspective. I hope you put all these up in an arrangement on a wall somewhere.

The store where I bought these has tens of thousands of old snapshots for sale. The vast majority of them don’t do anything for me at all, but it’s a great feeling to stumble upon one that speaks to me in some way. I enjoy buying those special, non-useless ones and giving them a new home. And it’s a lot of fun to scan and post them.

I have a lucite display brick (leftover from my days as a baseball card collector) that I use to exhibit one of my vintage photos on the mantel for a couple months at a time. The rest of the collection is stored in an old Harry & David fruit box.

• R. Cesaretti says:

I’m one of those odd types who collects other people’s old family photos. I have also discovered collections that contain events memorable enough for somebody to have taken the photo and somebody to have saved it for so many years before it was found in a junk store. I also have a collection of journals thrown in the trash bin by family members of a lonely woman, one entry on the lonely feeling of a birthday with nobody to celebrate with.
        Makes me think about what will happen to the things that I’m saving. Hope there’s another odd type like us.

I’d like someone to salvage at least a few pictures of me, but I hope that whoever’s left after I’m dead knows enough to destroy my journals. I wouldn’t want those things floating around.

Thanks for stopping by.

Marion really reminds me of my mom in this post.

5. Aussie Emjay says:

I think it’s wonderful that you have found so many photos of Marion & Herb so that at least some of their collection is kept together. I suppose as long as we get pleasure/enjoyment/fulfillment from collecting/keeping something while we’re alive, it doesn’t really matter if someone throws it out after we’re gone. However, I get sad to think that someone will throw all my “precious” things away…

Speaking of all your “precious” things, how’s that photo scanning project going? I’m guessing it got back-burnered by Chile.

I’d say that I’ve managed to purchase about 2/3 of the Marion & Herb pics for sale at the antiques store. There are still quite a few left. I’ve hidden them in a place where I doubt anyone will find them. Perhaps I’ll go back and complete the collection someday.

• Aussie Emjay says:

Yeah, the project was put on hold for Chile, then Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year, then Australia and now just life in general. I really need to finish it up as I’m getting tired of not having a dining room table.

I have been thinking about what will happen to all my crap when I am gone since I don’t have kids. I bet my niece and nephews won’t want much of anything. It kind of puts a little perspective on acquiring stuff. Like Emjay said, as long as we enjoy it while we are around, I guess it shouldn’t really matter after we’ve kicked the proverbial bucket. I have to look up the origin of ‘kicking the bucket’. How does one die from kicking a bucket? Anyway, I should make provisions for my Klark Kent CD to go to you if something happens to me any time soon.

Maybe the phrase harks back to when everything a person owned could fit in a bucket. When that person died, someone else would kick the dead person’s bucket of possessions to the curb…after swiping their super rare prerecorded wax cylinder, of course.