124 Catalpa St. (1952)

There’s a squirrel named Squirrel who lives in my front yard maple.  I sometimes go out there and leave a walnut or a berry for her on the tree’s lowest hanging branch.  Squirrel waits until I’ve gone back inside before coming down for her snack.  Then she looks at me through the window with what I swear is gratitude on her little squirrely face.

This is probably as close as I will ever come to having a pet.

But anyway, I was happy to learn that I’m not the only person who has developed a friendship with a rodent.  This kind of thing was going on all the way back in 1952…as this photograph will attest:

pet squirrel (front)

The handwriting on the back of the picture shows that these people took things a step further than I have.  Their squirrel had house privileges.  I think that’s going a bit far.

pet squirrel (back)

(An internet search has revealed that there are at least three 124 Catalpas in the United States.  The closest one is just a few miles south of me in Covington, Kentucky.)

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to 124 Catalpa St. (1952)

1. Laurie says:

The qualities of that photo made me think it was a pencil drawing at first. S/he is very cute.

Did you get that photo at Fairlook?

3. Scott says:

I saw a funny video about that, somewhere. Lost in the infinite forest of YouTube, probably. But there was a squirrel that would run into the people’s kitchen, take some nuts, and run out again. It was cute.

It should be easy enough to find. My YouTube remembers everything I’ve ever searched for, so it’s always trying to get me to look at that cartoon about the real-life baseball player who threw a no-hitter while high on LSD…just because I watched it a couple times in 2009.

Not that you need to look for the squirrel video. I’ll take your word on it.

Don King? Isn’t it time for lil’ Erin Gobranchclimber?

that’s not Squirrel it’s paper scanned into zeros and ones
    Squirrel wouldn’t turn down soda bread

I love catalpa trees cuz my grandpa had one in his front yard and I was fascinated by it. Feeding Squirrel(s) and everything else is great fun.

I wasn’t aware that a catalpa was a tree. I will investigate to see if squirrels live in them.

• Lauri says:

They are very interesting trees, but I imagine most home owners wouldn’t want them because they develop pretty white flowers that turn into huge seed pods….long skinny seed pods…almost look like pea pods about a foot long..and then those litter the yard,

That long story was brought to you by the tree nursery I tried to buy one from many decades ago. They didn’t sell them. 😉