This post is worth 5,000 words.

I’ve got a folder on my computer’s desktop labeled “recent vintage pics”.   It’s full of old snapshots I’ve recently acquired and scanned for upcoming posts.  Well, instead of spreading out these pictures over time and doing four or five individual posts, I’ve decided to dump the folder’s contents into one mosaic-style post.  Sometimes I like mosaics.  Here you go:

And here’s some information on each snapshot (starting with the dogs and going clockwise):

1. Eleven Terriers – I did a bit of research on this photo and discovered that it’s a mass-produced depiction of some of the first West Highland White Terriers.  That’s what we call “Westies” these days.  I’m not sure how the photographer got all the dogs to hold still.  Maybe Westies used to be well-behaved back then.
  2. Record Player & Black Cat – This one popped-up on eBay under my “record player” saved search.  The fact that it also features a black cat was a major selling point.  Just how many old pictures of record players and black cats do you think there are?  A half dozen?
  3. At Dale’s Place (1948) – The combination of the cool frames, the blank-eyed stare, the poor posture, the tilted head, and the strange placement of the background mirror made this a photo for me.  It was half of an eBay set that also included the picture of the two people on the boat (see below).
  4. Turntable on the Beach – This is another one that popped-up under my “record player” search.  I got excited to find two girls on the beach playing records and bought this picture without closely examining it.  It was only when it arrived in the mail that I noticed the shot was botched in the darkroom.  I could probably edit out the problem on the computer, but then I’d lose half the turntable.  Oh well.
  5. L.L. and Bette – This one came with “At Dale’s Place (1948)”.  I’m not sure why the pictures were sold together, but I like this shot a lot.  Matching sunglasses, teeth, and similarly-shaped heads make me think these boaters may have been siblings.
This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to This post is worth 5,000 words.

1. aubrey says:

L.L.’s and Bette’s sunglasses would go for large dollars nowadays. Personally I quite covet them myself.

I’m not sure what’s on the record player in the second photo, but the cat clearly was not in on the decision. It looks fairly disgusted.

I prefer the glasses worn by the woman at Dale’s place. They remind me of my swimming goggles.

As far as the cat goes, I can’t make out its features so I’m going to pretend it’s enjoying the music…which I’m guessing was Calendar Girl by Julie London or something by Bing Crosby.

2. Love the terriers, they’re so cute! I wondered that myself, why do they all look in the same direction. One of those perfect moments, maybe.

The really surprising thing to me is that none of the dogs are blurry. They must’ve all been holding perfectly still when the photo was taken. I know how hard it is to get a good shot of just a single cat; I can’t imagine how tough it must’ve been to get a quality picture of 11 dogs. Perfect moment, indeed.

• Apparently, it’s easier to photograph 11 terriers than 1 cat. What does that say about the terriers…or the cat?

I think it says that a dog can be trained (even 11 of them simultaneously), but a cat will always do whatever it wants to do at any given moment. I think it probably has something to do with the Egyptians worshiping cats thousands of years ago. They still think of themselves as royalty.

is “recent vintage pics” an oxymoron?

Yes, but I prefer it to the wordier “recently acquired vintage photographs” label.

• Paul Thie says:

I prefer “diving rod” to the wordier “divining rod” and the wordier “avante” to the lesser wordier “avant” but language becomes noise if we are not specific and we break the rules

I didn’t even realize that “avante” was misspelled. I didn’t know what your friend was talking about in the comments. That’s not unusual, though. I can’t follow you guys half the time.