We’re Happy and We’re Singing and a 1, 2, 3, 4.

I was sitting on my front porch this morning drinking a San Pellegrino mineral water–the nasty-tasting beverage I decided to switch to when I came off coffee–when I suddenly got the urge to go inside, find my “All Girl Summer Fun Band” photograph, and post it.  So that’s what I did.

all girl summer fun band (1942)

(all girl summer fun band)

I named this picture after a real Portland-based group I’ve been known to enjoy.

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to We’re Happy and We’re Singing and a 1, 2, 3, 4.

1. Laurie says:

It’s hard to think of those whimsical deckle edges framing anything but happy occasions or people having a good time.

I’m trying to cut Diet Coke out as my caffeine-delivery platform, not that I drank very much of it, but I’m hearing so many bad things about artificial sweeteners. I’m thinking of picking up proper fresh squeezed orange juice at the market. It’s not caffeine, but it does feel like a pick-me up whenever I have it, just because it’s so delightful.

I love orange juice but my usual brand recently started tasting a bit metallic. I’m not sure what that’s about. I switched to a different brand but was out of OJ when I had breakfast this morning. That reminds me I need to get to the grocery one of these days.

I’m a big fan of deckle edge photographs. I also like small square photos. This one was especially good as it combined both of those characteristics.

I like San Pellegrino but it’s too expensive, I just drink Trader Joe’s version. Why do you drink it if you think it tastes nasty?
    I pretty much drink coffee in the morning and then in the afternoon I may drink some green tea with honey. Of course it’s the caffeine you are trying to avoid, not the coffee. I also drink hot or warm water with fresh lemon squeezed into it, with honey, it’s supposed to be good for your digestion and other stuff, I don’t know how much of a pick-me up it is though.
    also, nice picture.

I’ve been spending a lot less on San Pellegrino than I was spending on coffee. The price isn’t too bad if it’s purchased in bulk.

I drink a nasty-tasting drink because I was born to suffer. It’s my lot in life.

3. Mandolin and accordion? I wonder what they were playing that day the photo was taken.

You’re paying too much for something you dislike. If you’re going to drink something dislikable, you might as well switch to club soda with a slice of lime in it. Though that always makes me wish I had gin in it.

The picture was taken in 1942 and is likely German in origin. I hate to say it, but they were probably playing propaganda songs in support of the Nazi war machine.

No! They were probably playing cute twee folk ballads about the Friendly Woodsman and his band of Bunny-friends. Yes, that’s it!

• Maybe they were playing “Bella Italia” and pretending they were in Venice—or New York!—instead of Würzburg or wherever in Germany they were. If I was living in Germany in 1942, you betcha I’d pretend I was somewhere else.

4. Lurkertype says:

You can get fizzy water with nice fruit flavors in it for much less than San Pellegrino. Unless you feel you need to be punished by your no-calorie beverage. Or you could drink decaf tea or coffee.

When I have soda, I either get Splenda or stevia-sweetened ones. Splenda is the least bad of the artificial sweeteners, and stevia is from a plant, though the stevia sodas don’t keep their flavor as long as Coke/Pepsi/etc. products do. Sometimes I get fizzy water and put the Torani Italian-style syrups in them, and sometimes I live it up and buy Mexican Coke.

Mandolin and accordion — something Mediterranean? You could definitely dance to it.

I’ve been getting a daily decaf at one of the many local coffee shops. The barista I dealt with today knew my drink before I even ordered. I guess that means I’ve successfully switched over.

I also drink diet ginger ales. Canada Dry makes a tasty one. They used to have a version with green tea added, but I haven’t been able to find it anywhere in over a year.

I cut my hand on the bottle cap the last time I tried to drink a Mexican Coke. Caps are sharper down there.

*raises glass of oj, grapefruit juice and vodka and clinks it to your bottle*
    It’s summer!
    I have so many of those photos from my mom and dad dating through my childhood that have those edges, Yes, very nostalgic!

I’ve seen a few pictures of my parents from before I was born. It seems that my dad used to take off his shirt and stand on his head to impress my mom. That’s all it took back then, I guess.

I thought you hated all drinks that start with the letter tea