Matt Pond @ Fountain Square (7/5/13)

Tonight I drove downtown to see Matt Pond and his band perform a free concert on Fountain Square.  Have you ever seen the opening credits to WKRP in Cincinnati?  If so, then you’re probably familiar with Fountain Square.  It’s home to a famous fountain of a woman shooting water out of her hands. It features prominently in the opening credits to that old TV show.

fountain square fountain

(baby, if you’ve ever wondered…)

But anyway, I drove on downtown and walked a few blocks to Fountain Square.  There was a stage set up.  Matt Pond and his band were getting ready for their concert.

p&g music stage

(p&g music stage)

I walked up closer to the stage and took a blurry picture of Matt Pond tuning his guitar.  This was a picture I could’ve very easily made non-blurry, but I hate to bother the people on stage.  I’d also hate to be one of those people who take things like this seriously.

blurry matt pond tunes his guitar

(matt pond turns a thing)

The band started to play at 9:00.

matt pond and band onstage

(let’s rock a little and then roll some)

Although the music was great, my favorite part of the evening was when Matt Pond stood around with a PBR.  I took a blurry picture of it.  This is a picture that I actually think works better blurry.  It makes him look like he’s drunk.  (He wasn’t.)

blurry matt pond holds a pbr

(this beer cost 45 cents)

Matt Pond and his band played a 9 song, 40 minute set, so the show was soon over.  I went over to the merch table and bought some stuff from the keyboardist.  She gave me the little button for free.

matt pond stuff

(i will buy this and that, please)

I thought about sticking around for the next band, Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s, but I only lasted one song.  That song featured a line that went “I should be leaving tonight.”  They sang it over and over again and I decided it was a sign that I should leave.

I drove on home.  There isn’t a picture of that because it’s dangerous to take pictures while driving.

Once I was home, I put together a proper setlist from the notes I’d taken during the show.

matt pond setlist

(setlist)

That setlist goes like this:

Soundcheck: KC (partial)

Proper set: Let Me Live/So Much Trouble/Bring Back the Orchestra/From Debris/Starlet/Ruins/Starting/Giving It All Away/Love to Get Used

I think the Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s song I heard was called “As Tall As Cliffs”.

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Matt Pond @ Fountain Square (7/5/13)

Yay Matt Pond! I’m glad you got to see him/them and of course take blurry photos. When I saw him/them his broken leg was still healing. It didn’t hinder the rocking, though.

I’m glad I got to see him, too. Thanks for introducing him to me with that homemade compilation a few years ago. I’m happy to announce that with last night’s purchase of Last Light I now officially own all 16 songs you included on that comp. Matt Pond should hire you as a promoter!

you were fortunate to see Matt Pond instead of a pond
    how did you know the rain would stop for two hours?

It does seem like the rain stopped just long enough for the Reds to lose and for Matt Pond to play his free concert. The rain started up again as soon as I got home. This weather is getting ridiculous. I had to close the windows and run the dehumidifier because my bath towels wouldn’t dry between showers.

It was a nice night for an outdoor concert, though.

3. I didn’t think I knew who Matt Pond was until I googled his name and saw that he’s the guy who sings “Champagne Supernova.” How embarrassing. I’ve started listening to a lot of new music on Pandora, but sometimes I don’t take note of who’s playing. I just “like” a song (click the “thumbs up” icon) and let it play on.

Anyway. No Matt Pond autograph?

The original version of “Champagne Supernova” was by Oasis, but Matt Pond did a cover version for an embarrassing TV show that I won’t mention here. His version is pretty good, though. He added almost nothing of his own style to it, so it’s sometimes hard to tell which one you’re listening to.

I’m not a big autograph guy and I didn’t feel like waiting for Matt Pond to make an appearance at the merch table.

4. Vishy says:

The photo of Fountain Square looks beautiful! Glad to know that you had fun at the Matt Pond concert.

I could’ve done without the fluorescent rainbow behind the fountain. That flashy building kind of contrasts with the classical style of the fountain. Oh well. It can’t stay 1871 forever.

5. Pingback: The Best Things I Heard All Year | Outgoing Signals