House Party!!!

alonzo & wife thelma just here from the states

(alonzo + wife thelma just here from the states)

I would give serious money to know what song they were dancing to.  My first thoughts were “Backfield in Motion” or “Tighten Up”.

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to House Party!!!

1. Does the photo have a date? I’m thinking alonzo and thelma are dancing to Sam Cooke’s “Shake.”

I was hoping there’d be some back-and-forth on this one with people suggesting songs, but I don’t think that needs to happen now. I just put on “Shake” (off The Man and His Music, one of the first CDs I ever bought) and I think you’ve got it. The song fits perfectly with the picture…which sadly doesn’t have a date written on the back.

• Wow. I may have some original vinyl records from when I was a teeny bopper (I think they’re called “tweens” now), but I doubt if I have the first CDs I ever bought. (A Flock of Seagulls just doesn’t seem as classic as Sam Cooke.) Weirdly, I still have this old CD of no-copyright Christmas carols that my former mother-in-law gave us when my husband and I got our first CD player. I think there’s a song or two on there that the kids liked, so I hung on to it. The local used-music shops won’t buy it from me, and it seems a shame to give it to Goodwill, so I guess it’ll stay in my collection until CD players are no longer manufactured.

My first CD ever was One Man Dog by James Taylor. I got that before I even had a CD player. I got the player a few days later for my birthday. That came with an Allman Brothers box set and CDs by Dwight Yoakam and (shudder) Travis Tritt. Within a week or two I had the Sam Cooke. I had to buy my own copy as I got tired of checking it out over and over again from the library.

I hope they continue to manufacture CD players for a long time. I’m pretty much screwed otherwise.

2. Lurkertype says:

It’s either “Shake” or The Twist. But they’re not quite in position for the Twist. It’s something properly Motown, that’s for sure. Alonzo and Thelma knew how to boogie.

I thought about “The Twist” but decided that song was probably too tame and popular for Alonzo + Thelma. I think they had more edge to them. Alonzo, after all, is dancing and smoking at the same time. Total bad-ass.

• Lurkertype says:

Alonzo was quite the guy. He’s at a party, he’s dancing and smoking at the same time, and he’s got those moves even in a shirt and tie. Plus he got Thelma. Bet it was his dancing.

I typed alonzo, thelma, & wife into the Google image search to see if I could find a picture of an old couple or an obituary or something. I got all excited when I saw a picture of a similar couple. They were dancing! At a house party!

It took me a second to realize it was my picture.

• Lurkertype says:

I hate it when that happens.

I see now it says “here from the states” which I guess means this picture was taken overseas. Were Alonzo and Thelma bringing American coolness to some other country? They look like fine ambassadors to me.

caption:
    sometimes alone and in silence alonzo and thelma liked to hold a pose as if they were dancing

4. Pingback: SIBR: A Monthly Column (5/13) | Outgoing Signals

5. Charlie H says:

A picture from happier times before she left him for Louise