“Hooray, hooray, first of May…

…outdoor fucking starts today!”

That right there is a direct quote spoken by James Taylor during a concert that took place at the Timberwolf Amphitheater back in the early 90s.  He shared that rhyme with the audience while introducing his song “First of May”.  I was at that show with my parents and little brother and remember feeling shocked and embarrassed by the whole thing.  That didn’t stop me from writing down the rhyme on a tiny piece of paper, though.  It was only the second or third concert I’d ever attended and I’d already developed my annoying habit of documenting everything.

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to “Hooray, hooray, first of May…

1. Laurie says:

I didn’t know it was a James Taylor song, but I’ve been to a couple of Jonathan Coulton shows where that’s been a really fun sinaglong.

I don’t think I’ve ever actually heard Jonathan Coulton’s song of the same name, but I’ve read the lyrics. He’s much dirtier than James!

Well…there will be no “outdoor ‘that'” around here….except by chickens! Ha!

3. phantomxii says:

Why wait until the first of May? Well, I suppose there is the cold. And…you know…shrinkage.

As James Taylor says,

It’s a rite of spring, a horizontal thing.

You try rewriting that line with “winter” in there. It’s harder to rhyme.

4. Pingback: James Taylor @ the Timberwolf Amphitheater (8/5/92) | Outgoing Signals

5. Aussie Emjay says:

That’s funny – I subscribe to local list-serv emails for my neighbourhood and the other day they had “warnings” about this type of behaviour starting up in some of the alleys now that the weather is warmer.

6. Marie says:

I heard it from a 70+ yr old woman and it is not a James Taylor song. The f—word was not used. It was”outdoor screwing”.

“First of May” is a James Taylor song, and I can assure you that he did, in fact, introduce it in the exact manner I have written.

• Laurie says:

I heard it at a Jonathan Coulton show, I thought he wrote it, but I haven’t checked any sources.

Jonathan Coulton has a song. James Taylor has a different song. I’m sure a third musician has a third song. They’re probably all based on the same rhyme…which apparently exists in tame and bawdy versions.