She & Him @ the 5th Avenue Theatre (10/23/10)

Here are three things that happened at the She & Him concert Beth and I went to on Saturday night.  These are three things that have never happened before in my long and storied concert-going career:

#1 – Front Row Seats – Beth and I had seats in the front row.  I have no idea how she managed to score such prime real estate, but our seats were absolutely amazing.  M. Ward was about 12 feet away and there was nothing/nobody between me and him.  The she in She & Him was a bit further away, but still so close that I probably could’ve hit her with Sailor Babo had I felt like tossing him up onstage.  Well done, Beth.

#2 – Doing What the Musician Tells Me to Do – A lot of musicians try to get the audience to sing certain parts of their songs.  It’s one of those I’ll-sing-this-part-and-you’ll-sing-that-part-things.  This isn’t entirely bothersome to me as it can sometimes produce a pretty sound, but I have never participated in these sing-a-longs.  Ever.  Well, I found it absolutely impossible to refuse when Zooey Deschanel requested that I (and the others, I guess) sing the “well alright” and “it’s okay” parts in the song “In the Sun”.  I wanted to stay all stoic and cool, but I just couldn’t.  I sang “well alright” and “it’s okay” along with everybody else.  I must admit it was kind of fun.

#3 – Clapping When I’m Supposed to Clap – This one is closely related to #2.  You know how sometimes the audience starts up a clapping rhythm or someone onstage starts clapping and everybody claps along in time?  Well, I don’t do that.  I usually stick my hands in my pockets or cross my arms and scowl.  It’s just how I am.  Well, once again, I couldn’t refuse Zooey’s request to clap in time during the last song of their main set, “Sweet Darlin'”.  I kept a close watch on M. Ward’s clapping so I’d be sure to stay in rhythm and not create a situation where I’d clap out of time with everybody else.  That would be embarrassing.  That’s pretty much why I’ve always avoided that group clapping-thing.  I’d hate to find out that I lacked the necessary rhythm to participate.  I can’t dance.  What if it turned out I couldn’t clap either?  Well, I can.  I proved it tonight.  I clapped right along with everybody else and nobody pointed and made fun.  It turns out I’m a good clapper.

But anyway, this was an amazing show.  Beautiful venue.  Fantastic seats.  Great song selection.  The best concert-going partner around.  She & Him at the 5th Avenue Theatre was our fourth concert in the last four nights and I don’t think it’s a stretch to say it’s the best of the bunch.

Here’s the setlist:

Main set: I Was Made For You/Over It Over Again/Black Hole/Thieves/Lingering Still/Me and You/Take It Back/Home/Change Is Hard/I Thought I Saw Your Face Today/You Really Got a Hold on Me/Brand New Shoes/You Turn Me On I’m a Radio/Magic Trick/Gonna Get Along Without You Now/In the Sun/Ridin’ in My Car/Don’t Look Back/This Is Not a Test/Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?/Sweet Darlin’

Encore: Fools Rush In/Rave On!/Roll Over Beethoven

We hit our fifth concert in five nights tomorrow.  We’re driving to Portland to see one of the three musicians still left on my Top Ten Concerts to See list.  Stay tuned for more…

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to She & Him @ the 5th Avenue Theatre (10/23/10)

1. Melissa says:

Wow, will there be a 6th concert? Tell Beth I said Hello!

2. phantomxii says:

This one time I was at a Richard Thompson show and I was pretty close to the stage and we were supposed to be singing along but I wasn’t because I felt sort of stupid but then he looked right at me when we were supposed to be singing but I wasn’t singing so I felt even stupider.

Was it at Bogart’s about ten years ago? When Mock Tudor came out? Maybe we were at the same show.

• phantomxii says:

It was actually at Southgate House. Richard was accompanied by bassist Danny Thompson (no relation, but veteran of Donovan, Nick Drake, et al.!). I wonder if anyone told them that it was the boyhood home of John T. Thompson.

3. AmyH says:

How fun! What a great night. Beth did a fantastic job of scoring those seats!

Yes, the seats were amazing. The ticket purchasing was a mess full of online clicking, wristbands, standing in a special line, getting on a VIP list, acquiring physical tickets, and all sorts of other extra steps you don’t usually have to do. I thought it was silly until I saw the end results: Front Row!

4. LBeeeze says:

A very good time was had by all.

Thanks for not tossing Sailor Babo on the stage. You probably wouldn’t have gotten him back, and that’s a pain I can do without, thank you very much.

I might not have gotten him back, but he could’ve gone on to live with Zooey Deschanel. He’d probably like that.

I thought about tying a string around his waist and tossing him up there so I could pull him back when one of the band members reached for him. Then I realized I’d probably get thrown out of the venue. And I didn’t have any string.

That was an incredible show. Thanks for coming out to share it!

6. Sounds like you had an amazing time. I’m happy for you! :o)

7. Pingback: Behold, the Future! | Outgoing Signals

8. Pingback: Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan @ Neumos (10/26/10) | Outgoing Signals

9. Pingback: Pictures that should have gone with the concert reviews I recently wrote… | Outgoing Signals