Cat Power @ the 5th Avenue Theatre (10/21/10)

Homey and I had wristband tickets for the City Arts Festival.  We were going to use the wristbands to see the Weepies tonight, but that show was inexplicably hyped due to a local opening act, so we decided to see Cat Power instead.

Okay, so we walked down the hill and went for dinner at Cyber Dogs.  It’s one of my favorite Seattle restaurants and it’s always an interesting dining experience.  This time the owner played a bunch of songs specifically for us while we ate.  Marilyn Monroe had a horrible voice, but we made up for it by listening to Ella Fitzgerald singing “Night and Day”.  Is there anything better than Ella Fitzgerald singing Cole Porter?  I can’t think of anything…except maybe the Red Hot Bayou vegetarian dog.  That’s what I had for dinner.  Homey got El Bandito.  (You thought I was going to say “the El Bandito”, didn’t you?  Well, I’m smarter than that.  That would be like saying “the the Bandit”.)

Sailor Babo found two sex toys sitting abandoned on a bench a half block outside of Cyber Dogs.  One of them was a vibrator with a cord and a handheld controller to set the speeds or whatever.  The other was a little rabbit-shaped thing.  I’m not exactly sure what it’s for, but I know it’s a sex toy because I’ve seen it for sale at Babeland.  I took a pretty fantastic picture of Sailor Babo looking shocked at his discovery, but it shall remain forever hidden in the vaults so I don’t get sued by Pretty Ugly, LLC.

We then made our way down to the 5th Avenue Theatre.  Oh my goodness, that place is beautiful.  And the seats!  The seats are plush!  I don’t even think the Weepies’ venue had seats.  We definitely made the right choice going for Cat Power at a place with plush seats.  Always go for the plush seats.  That’s one of my concert-going rules, you know.

Cat Power opened the show with a cover of “Satisfaction” by the Rolling Stones.  Chan played it solo and it was my personal highlight of the night.  Her version is haunting and desperate, but I don’t really care about that.  I liked it because the sound was nice and crisp and I could hear the lyrics.  The band joined her for the second song and things went south from there.  The show was good, but the sound was all off for me.  The band was turned up way too loud, things got muffled, and I couldn’t make out much of Chan’s vocals for the rest of the evening.

The sound difficulties made it hard to keep an accurate setlist.  I have every single Cat Power album, but I was only able to recognize about half the songs.  I took notes on all the others, but I’m having trouble finding them online.  Maybe she was playing new songs or obscure covers.  I don’t know.  What I do know is I’m not going to bother with it today.  Here’s what I have:

Setlist: (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction/Good Woman/”but if we could…”/These Days–>Song to Bobby/Woman Left Lonely/Lost Someone/Lord, Help the Poor & Needy/”plans for my future…”/Silver Stallion/Don’t Explain/Instrumental/Bully/Cherokee/Instrumental/”who gives a shit these days…”/I Don’t Blame You/Ruin

That’s the best I can do with the setlist right now.  Sorry.

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Cat Power @ the 5th Avenue Theatre (10/21/10)

1. Laurie says:

Blah blahs excused, because it’s nice to know you’re hanging with Homebody in Seattle.

We’re having fun, but I’m already starting to suffer from sensory overload. We had a concert on Tuesday night, Wednesday night (the one mentioned above), and we’ve got another one in about an hour.

By the way, we saw about 47 skull-related products today. They’re everywhere!

• Laurie says:

I know, everybody jumped on my bandwagon! I was doing skull stuff years before they became trendy.

Nothing beats the Write hard, Die free pin you and Homebody gave me. I was at a work function with a bunch of screenwriters recently and one of them seriously coveted it when he saw it on my purse strap. He was disappointed to hear he couldn’t just go and pick one up at some common place in town.

I was in that store tonight and was thinking about buying a pin. The one you got isn’t so appropriate for me, but they’ve got one with a question mark in a bubble cloud that I’ve got my eye on. I don’t know what I’d stick it on, though. I’m not really a pin guy.

2. Charlie H says:

You are in the Pacific Northwest again eh? Try some more beers off my list. See if you can try something by Ninkasi.

3. Pingback: Okay, I finished that up. | Outgoing Signals

4. amyhftw says:

I hope Sailor Babo’s innocence isn’t too damaged!

5. lurkertype says:

My Sailor Babo seems nonplussed at the idea.

I still haven’t cut off his tags and his plastic hang tag/loop (so he could be hung up by his head). Someone bought him in a store, b/c he’s got the hanging loop, his Sailor Babo explanation booklet (with original $10 price tag) and another booklet advertising the (then) impending Ugly Books.

It’s cold and rainy here today, so Babo’s content to stay inside anyway.

In my experience Sailor Babo enjoys having his tag and loop cut off. I think he feels freer without those capitalist anchors weighing him down. I don’t even know what that means. I also don’t know if “freer” is a real word. It looks wrong.

• lurkertype says:

It does look wrong, but Webster says it’s correct.

My Sailor Babo has two tags, so he really lists to port (see, being all nautical for him).

I have to put him on a higher shelf. My Longcat is long enough to stretch up and sniff at him, so for the first time in this house, the words “Tuxie, no! Leave Sailor Babo alone!” have been uttered.

If you hear a shriek coming from the East Coast, you’ll know I cut off his tags and the collector who oh-so-carefully saved him in mint condition has sensed it and is screaming from Virginia.

I used to enjoy opening up collectible toys that had been kept in pristine packaging for years and years. Baseball cards, too. It’s hard to have fun with stuff when it’s still wrapped up like merchandise. Be free, Sailor Babo! Be free!

6. phantomxii says:

The the Bandit, huh? Well, I hope you stopped at an ATM machine.

Now I really wanna see the Sailor Babo/vibrator picture. But of course, I understand your respect for Sailor Babo’s virtuous reputation.

7. purplesque says:

I’m glad I don’t understand all of this post, because the parts I do understand (which are not the sex toy parts) make me jealous.

8. Pingback: Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan @ Neumos (10/26/10) | Outgoing Signals

9. Pingback: Pictures that should have gone with the concert reviews I recently wrote… | Outgoing Signals