Alejandro Escovedo & the Sensitive Boys @ the Southgate House (4/2/10)

If I had to make a list of my Top Ten Concerts ever, I think it’s realistic to say that at least half of them would be Alejandro Escovedo at the Southgate House.  I’ve seen the same man at the same venue so many times that I’ve lost count.  Contrary to what you might think, it doesn’t get repetitive.  Alejandro Escovedo is everything I love about music all wrapped up in one man.  He can get the fists pumping with flat-out rock & roll and then follow that very song with a beautiful ballad that will leave the audience in tears.  I’m serious…I know I’ve cried every single time I’ve seen him.  And he’s a snappy dresser, too.

Despite the great shows I’ve seen him put on, I almost skipped this one due to some back pain that’s been nagging me since I was at the Tractor Tavern a few weeks ago.  It just won’t go away.  I’m getting old.  I thought maybe I’d stay home and whine, but I said screw it and went anyway.  I just happened to put on my best concert-going shirt when I woke up this afternoon.  It seemed like a sign.

Oh, I’m so glad I went.  Not only did Alejandro Escovedo solve my problem of what song to sing at next year’s KttD, but I got a preview of his upcoming record, Street Songs of Love.  It’s due out June 29th and if the seven new songs he played are any indication, it’s going to be another classic.  I usually dislike hearing new material in a live setting, but it’s a testament to both Alejandro’s bandmates and the quality of his songwriting that I didn’t care one bit.  It was great.  It wasn’t all new stuff, though.  There were a couple songs from Real Animal and three amazing covers.  No Mott the Hoople or Velvet Underground this time, but there’s always next year.

Here’s the setlist.  The asterisked songs are new ones that may or may not be on Street Songs of Love.

Main set: Always a Friend/Everybody Loves Me/Anchor*/This Bed Is Getting Crowded*/Crooked Frame/Sister Lost Soul/Down in the Bowery*/Instrumental–>Rosalie/Street Songs*/Chelsea Hotel ’78/Castanets

First encore: After the Meteor Showers*/Tender Heart*/Beast of Burden (Rolling Stones cover)

Second encore: Faith*/Sway (Rolling Stones cover)/I Wanna Be Your Dog (Stooges cover)

Of course, here are a couple pictures from the evening.  I could’ve had some shots from inside the venue except I’m not a dork with a thousand dollar camera flashing my flash all through a beautiful acoustic version of “Rosalie”.  Have some class, man.  You ruin the moment by trying to capture it.

Alejandro Escovedo marqueeAlejandro Escovedo setlistNewport, Kentucky can kiss my ass. I got two minutes left!

And while I’m dishing it out, I’d like to tell Newport, Kentucky that it can kiss my ass.  Yes, the entire town can get in line and pucker up.  Newport’s stupid two hour parking meters that run until midnight may have gotten me last year, but I beat them this time.  I caught tonight’s opening act, leisurely walked back to my car, fed the meter again, sprinted back to the SGH, and got there just a few seconds before “Always a Friend” started up.  Then at the end of the show, I strolled back to my car a second time and found I had a whole two minutes left on the meter.  My timing was on.  Take that, Newport!

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Alejandro Escovedo & the Sensitive Boys @ the Southgate House (4/2/10)

1. mariser says:

I wanted to come to this show since AE is skipping Lexington this tour, but I wussed out at the end.you are a better man than me, dude.thanks for the review and setlist.down with parking meters!

Wow, you could have had an unexpected encounter with M—–l, and seen him weep!
    I haven't seen his name for any upcoming shows here which is strange, I'll have to check further.
    The places with the stupid 2 hour meters never would let me leave to put in more $$. Any time I worried about it I was okay. The one time I didn't even realize I needed to put $$ in the meter was when I got the ticket. At least one of the places (the Tin Angel) has since switched to 3-hour parking kiosks where you print out a ticket and put it on your dashboard.
    I hope your back is feeling better.

I have to say though, I really can't stand the song "Always a Friend". I blame Chuck Prophet (who I don't hate or anything).

Too bad you skipped it. We could've pumped our fists and then cried together. On second thought, it's probably better that you stayed home.Alejandro mentioned that they recorded the new record in Lexington. I thought that was a strange place to record an album, but I guess there's a scene (or at least a studio) there. I don't think I've ever been to Lexington. I thought about driving down to see Tom Waits there once, but I decided against it. Or maybe that was Louisville. I can't remember.

I wasn't weeping. When I say "crying" I really mean that I got a tiny bit teary-eyed. The tears didn't actually fall. They formed without my consent and I proceeded to evaporate them instantly with some leftover testosterone I happened to have. The whole process was very manly.I like "Always a Friend", but I hate how it automatically starts playing every time I visit Alejandro's website. The button to turn it off is very tiny and hard to find. I've heard the opening notes of that song about 300 times.

6. How busy is this place that it can have metered parking up until midnight? This must be a ploy to shaft all the people who go to this club: guy feeds the meter, goes in, has a few drinks and forgets to go back and feed the meter again. When he's done and ready to go home—whammo, ticket! and more revenue for the city! Unless you're like all those guys in San Francisco who rip up their tickets and throw the bits into the streets.

maybe my computer is slow but it didn't automatically start when I went there (prior to your reply). Also, I linked it up for Silverchimes since Nuns song mentions Jennifer.

I'm no litterer. I'd never tear up a ticket and throw it into the street.Yes, it's just a ploy to get more revenue for the town. I've been going down to Newport for about twelve years and I've always parked on the same street. At first it was free parking. Then they added parking meters, but they were regular meters with regular hours. Then they snuck the meter hours up until midnight last year or the year before. They caught me with a ticket that first time. I boycotted the town for a couple weeks, but it wasn't a very successful boycott as all the good shows are down there and I couldn't stay away.Grrrr.

9. Scott says:

Those two-hour meters almost got me a couple weeks ago. Fortunately I noticed the tiny sticker announcing the policy. I grumbled, moved my car to the school parking lot, paid my goddamn dollar, and enjoyed the rest of the evening.

I should probably use the school lot. I'm just so used to parking on the exact same street every time I go down there that I don't consider the other options.The school lot was more expensive last Friday. It was $5. Still, I'd rather my money go to a school than to the city of Newport…which, as far as I'm concerned, is the Southgate House surrounded by a bunch of crap.

11. Pingback: There’s a venue-shaped hole in my heart. | Outgoing Signals