Ted Leo & the Pharmacists @ Neumos (3/19/10)

Here are some quick thoughts on seeing Ted Leo.  These are random and in the order they popped into my head:

1. All Ages shows make me feel really old.  Everyone in the front row appeared to be in their teens.
  2. One of the girls in the front row had an awesome t-shirt with a Bomb Pop on it.  I want one of those right now.
  3. Another guy in the front row looked a lot like a Beach Boy circa 1964.  Maybe Carl or Dennis.
  4. I am sad that the guy working the door kept my ticket stub.  I like to keep them as souvenirs.
  5. Standing at the side of the stage offers a terrific view, but poor sound quality.
  6. As a result of #5, my usual hand-written setlist is essentially useless.  It didn’t get much more detailed than “Where Have All the Rude Boys Gone?”, “Bottled in Cork”, and “Even Heroes Have to Die”.  Most everything else was “loud, fast song with muffled words”.
  7. Ted Leo should be commended for selling his CDs at the merch table for only $10.
  8. I like the song “Walking to Do” a lot less now that I know it’s about striving for social change.  I always thought it was about going for a walk.
  9. I’ve yet to find a Ted Leo studio album that manages to capture the fun and excitement of the Ted Leo live experience.
  10. Ted Leo plays cool covers.  He played “Fisherman’s Blues” by the Waterboys and “Dancing in the Dark” by Bruce Springsteen (see below).  It was fun trying to place the first one.  It took me about three minutes to figure out what I was hearing.
  11. If I could be any musician for a night, I think I’d like to be the drummer with the big beard.  I know he’s got a name, but I have no idea what it is.  Anyway, he kicks ass and appears to have a lot of fun up there.
  12. Skipping opening acts is a good thing.  We showed up about three minutes before Ted Leo & the Pharmacists took the stage.
  13. Beer fell from the sky towards the end of the show and landed about a foot to my right.
  14. Momos are delicious.
  15. This counts as a “concert review”.
  16. That is all.
Ted Leo & the Pharmacists @ Neumos (3/19/10)

(Ted Leo on stage)

Ted Leo & the Pharmacists @ Neumos (3/19/10)

(posters)

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Ted Leo & the Pharmacists @ Neumos (3/19/10)

heh. All ages shows, hell the 21 and over shows make me feel old.
    Skipping opening bands is not usually a good thing (unless it was for the Three O'Clock opening for REM in 1985, that I could have lived with skipping). If you'd gotten there in time to see the opening band you wouldn't have been at the side of the stage listening to muffled vocals. That said, I don't know how many opening bands I'll miss tonight at the Black Lips show. At least one. But, let's just say that Joseph Arthur will be opening for The Black Lips. I think we'll get there in time to see the second band anyway, the BL are scheduled to take the stage around 11, which means probably 11:30 or so.
    I hate when they keep the stub, rip it in such a way that you can't see the vital info, or worst of all if there IS no ticket.

The drummer blew me away. Would that I could learn to play 1/10th that well…
    Momos are delicious even without the Yeti!

I usually like to check out the opening acts, but the one for last night featured Calvin Johnson (of Beat Happening and a bunch of other bands). He's got just about my least favorite voice ever.
    I was actually pretty happy with our standing spot for the Ted Leo show. Sure it was on the side and sort of behind the speakers, but there was a wall for leaning and we got a terrific view of all the onstage action. And despite the fact that the front rows were filled with teenagers, it was fun to watch them lip sync along to all the songs.
    I saw two different shows in the same night once. It was the Original Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers (Mark Olson from the Jayhawks) and the British pop group, Travis. It was a very long time ago.
    Good luck with the Black Arthurs or Joseph's Lips or whatever you want to call them.

I just looked it up. The drummer's name is Chris Wilson. That's a very plain name for such an enthusiastic, energetic rocker. I don't have a better name for him, though.
    I think Chris Wilson might be my new drumming hero…after you, of course.

5. all ages shows are rough, but before they instituted the no smoking in bars rule we opted for the all ages show because the 21 and over crowd got really drunk and I could barely see the band through all the smoke. We are going to neumos soon, going to see the red sparrows

I've never heard of the Red Sparrows. I feel so out-of-touch with you youngsters.

7. they are instrumental like pelican or mogwai, Mr. L likes them a lot, he can listen to them while he reads or works

Ah, cool.
    Be sure to bring your cash and your wishlists. The new Everyday Music opened up this morning!

9. Haha! I doubt we will go music shopping while we are there.

10. Sorry! I have an organizer to pay to help me get rid of all the things that I have bought. It is the first concert we will be attending for quite a while, maybe even a year! I can't remember the last concert we went to…. Depeche mode I think.

Yes, get rid of your Christian Rock, but replace it with She & Him (which came out today).

12. It did huh? I must go to amazon NOW!!!