the Clientele @ the Tractor Tavern (3/12/10)

Beth and I went down to Ballard last night to catch the Clientele at the Tractor Tavern.  We got there with plenty of time to spare, so we went for dinner at a vegetarian Thai restaurant called Jhanjay.  I can’t remember what Beth ordered, but I got the Tofu Paste Garlic Fried Rice.  I don’t know what “tofu paste” is, and I’m not really a fan of garlic in Asian cuisine, but it felt like a good idea at the time.  It turned out to be a delicious choice.  It was probably the best fried rice I’ve ever had; great service, too.  The best part, though, is that about halfway through our meal, the Clientele walked in.  They copied us because we are on the cutting edge of Seattle-area dining trends and know all the good places.

Beth and I went over to Sonic Boom for a bit after dinner, but I couldn’t find anything.  I found the Clientele’s House on Fire EP there a few visits ago, but it’s been a dry store ever since.  Beth got some stuff, though.  She usually does.

We walked back over to the Tractor Tavern.  We got there in time to see the first opening act, a group called Surf City.  Music-wise, I liked the band quite a lot.  Their rhythm section was pretty good and their lead guitarist sounded a bit like he was in New Order circa 1981.  I like that.  Unfortunately, their vocalist ruined it all for me.

We went over to Bop Street Records at the setbreak, but they turned off all the lights on us for an in-store performance.  Who turns off the lights for an in-store?  We got out of there…which is a good thing, as the mold stink was already starting to stick to our clothes.  That’s one record store that needs some Febreze.

The next band was called the Wooden Birds.  Beth liked them because Matt Pond was their lead guitarist, but I thought they were kind of dull.  Their lead singer was up there with Jay Farrar and Josh Rouse as the most boring frontmen I’ve ever seen.  He kept saying, “Thank you for that,” in between songs.  That got annoying after the fourth time.  I liked their music best when the singer let the second guitarist in on the vocals.  She had a nice voice and things were much more interesting when she stepped up to the mic.

The part about the Clientele should go here, but I’ve already written too much and my back hurts because Beth’s desk chair doesn’t have any support to it.  All I really want to say right now is that the Clientele is a far more engaging live band than I ever would’ve suspected from the sleepy, rainy-day feel of their studio albums.  I like those albums, but I mostly use them for walking to the library in the rain or lounging around the house in a cardigan.  I wasn’t sure if that vibe would be interesting in a live setting.  It was…a few people even danced.

Oh, I also want to say that Alasdair MacLean pronounces his band’s name “klee-ahn-tel“, not “klahy-uhn-tel“.

Here’s the setlist:

Main set: Bonfires on the Heath/Never Anyone But You/Somebody Changed/I Wonder Who We Are/Since K Got Over Me/We Could Walk Together/I Know I Will See Your Face/Reflections After Jane/Here Comes the Phantom/I Hope I Know You/Harvest Time/Lamplight/My Own Face Inside the Trees/The Garden at Night

Encore: Bookshop Casanova/A Picture of Dorian Gray (Television Personalities cover)

the Clientele

(the Clientele)

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to the Clientele @ the Tractor Tavern (3/12/10)

1. kitty says:

I was sorry to miss the show – but my other plans ran late and then I was tired and there were buses involved… And I have seen The Clientele twice before! I think my ex-husband was there last night too. Maybe you said hello.

2. Good song and video. I enjoyed it. Hope you had a great time!

I'm sorry you weren't able to make it. Although I never got around to writing it in my "review", it was a really good show. I did see your ex there, too. He was doing a little jittery dance to the Wooden Birds.

Thanks. A fun time was had by all.

I'm sorry we didn't get to see you. Buses are a drag! We said hello to your ex and we also ran into one of my former officemates and his girlfriend. It was a good show but also a very long show; I had a back-ache from standing around by the time the Clientele came on.

Nice review, M—–l. I'm glad you came out here for this show; I probably wouldn't have gone on my own due to the transportation, but had a good time.

Despite the fact that I still have a backache from standing around for 5 hours, I had a great time. Sure, a couch would've been nice, but at least we scored a wall spot for part of the Clientele. Leaning feels great after standing for so long.
    My only regret from that evening is that I didn't pick up the Jimmy Silva tribute at the Ballard Sonic Boom.

Well, we'll just have to go back, then! Or maybe it got released today at the Capitol Hill Sonic Boom. At any rate, I'd like to go back to that Thair restaurant some day.

The two guys working at Sonic Boom yesterday were very nice. They tried to think of all the tributes the Young Fresh Fellows/Minus 5 had been on, but all they could come up with was the Zombies and the Kinks. I asked the main guy to look it up on universaltrendsetter.com and he came back with the name "Jimmy Silva". I still have no idea who Jimmy Silva is, but I want his tribute right now. They ordered a copy for me and said it should be in today or tomorrow.
    Great service from Sonic Boom!

Yay! I love that store; everyone who works there seems to love music and be eager to help a customer.
    Nonetheless, I'm also eagerly anticipating the reopening of Everyday Music. Fingers crossed that it finally happens this week!.

Oh, I also want to give a shout-out to Sonic Boom for selling me their loose Dr. Zoidberg last weekend. I only need two more Kidrobots to complete my Futurama collection!

I think I may need that Nibbler.

You'd better hurry then. Nibbler won't stick around for long.