Leonard Cohen @ the Palace Theatre (10/27/09)

My parents and I drove up to Columbus on Tuesday to see Leonard Cohen’s performance at the Palace Theatre.  I still have no idea why we went.  My parents know “Suzanne” and “Hallelujah”, but little else.  My Leonard Cohen fandom peaked in 1998 and I pretty much swore off the man and his works after a reading of Beautiful Losers caused me to go into a season-long depression.  But time went by.  I eventually got over the novel; I hardly ever shudder when I get in an elevator.  Hardly ever.

It occurs to me now that only about two people out there will have any idea what I’m talking about, so let’s try a different approach, shall we?  My parents and I went to a Leonard Cohen concert because it was either that or staying in our respective homes and watching NBC’s smash-hit comedy, The Biggest Loser.  We could either go see a legendary author, poet, and musician perform or watch overweight contestants go to the gym.  When those are your options, Leonard Cohen should win every single time.

[This is the paragraph where I would normally use words and phrases like “good” or “really good” or “best” or “really the best” or “really good at being the best”, but I find that I’m a bit off this morning.  My usual junior high newspaper quality “reviews” just won’t cut it this time.  Leonard Cohen was absolutely amazing, but I don’t feel like writing about him or his fedora or any of it.  We definitely made the right choice in going to the concert, but just thinking about Beautiful Losers again has sapped me of my motivation.  I wish I hadn’t read that book.  I think I’m going to wear the same clothes as yesterday.  It’s awfully dreary out.]

As always, here’s the setlist:

First set: Dance Me to the End of Love/The Future/Ain’t No Cure For Love/Bird on the Wire/Everybody Knows/In My Secret Life/Instrumental–>Who By Fire/Chelsea Hotel #2/Waiting For the Miracle/Anthem (recitation)–>Anthem (w/intros)

Second set: Tower of Song/Suzanne/Sisters of Mercy/The Gypsy’s Wife/The Partisan/Boogie Street (sung by Sharon Robinson)/Hallelujah/I’m Your Man/A Thousand Kisses Deep (recitation)/Take This Waltz (w/intros)

Encore: So Long, Marianne/First We Take Manhattan/Famous Blue Raincoat/If It Be Your Will (recitation)/If It Be Your Will (performed by the Webb Sisters)/Closing Time

One last song: I Tried to Leave You

And here’s my usual concert-related ephemera.  I threw in a couple pictures taken on a trail up by my parents’ house just because I didn’t know what else to do with them.

Leonard Cohen ticketLeonard Cohen setlistLeonard Cohen marqueeLeonard Cohen poster (back)Leonard Cohen poster (front)Heed the Green ManPathy the PathLittle Miami River

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Leonard Cohen @ the Palace Theatre (10/27/09)

1. mariser says:

dewd. what a setlist. I'm not generally a fan of "greatest hits" shows, but when you have like 50 years of material to choose from…he did Famous Blue Raincoat! [swoons]it would have been a perfect show if he'd done Joan of Arc instead of, oh, Dance Me to the End of Love, The Future, Ain't No Cure For Love.your parents are awesome. I would never go to a concert with mom. it'd probably be something like, I don't know, Jennifer Lopez or other such horror.

2. Scott says:

Okay. I'm seriously, you guys. For reals. I HAVE GOT TO START FOLLOWING THE DAMNED ENTERTAINMENT LISTINGS. I would totally have driven up there to see Leonard, money be damned. No kidding, I was thinking a couple days ago how I'd like to see him in concert. Well, I'm glad you appreciated it. Otherwise I'd have to do something really socially unacceptable, like poke you on Facebook.

I'm glad to hear you made the right choice.

You can probably catch the Biggest Loser in reruns.

If I'd been physically capable of swooning, I probably would've swooned a bit at "Famous Blue Raincoat", too. It was getting towards the end and he still hadn't played it. I was starting to get worried. As far as I'm concerned, that song features the all-time greatest end line of any song.Sincerely, L. CohenI love that.If I had to bump one of the songs, I probably would've bumped "Boogie Street". I never have cared for that one and didn't really need to hear Sharon Robinson sing it while Mr. Cohen stood around. I'm not complaining, though. I got to hear just about everything I wanted to hear.

If only there was some sort of network…maybe a computer network…where people could advertise upcoming concerts and potential audience members could keep track of them. Somebody should invent that.

7. AmyH says:

The Pathy the Path photo is beautiful. I'm glad you threw that in. It's too pretty to not share. We're having a cold and dark day here in Phoenix. It's nice. I do miss the leaves changing, though. Maybe Lauri will send me a box of leaves again this year…

Live music is always the right choice when the other option is television. Unless it's House. Then television usually wins.

You can probably catch the Biggest Loser in reruns. My mom was quick to inform me that you can watch episodes online. She loves that show. I think her favorite song is the "What have you done today to make you feel proud" theme song.

10. LBeeeze says:

Leonard Cohen has such a haunting voice.

Amy, Amy, AmyH, you should warn me ahead of time if you send me a link to posts that feature feet pictures. Please. I'm not necessarily anti-feet, but I like to prepare myself for such things.Thanks for the picture comment. I noticed as soon as I went through my neighborhood feed today that about a half dozen of my neighbors posted similar leaves-changing-by-a-trail pics. There is not a bit of originality rattling around in my brain. Oh well.

He brought three fantastic back-up singers, and they were able to drown him out when his voice got too haunting.(Thanks.)

13. AmyH says:

Sorry – I'll keep your feet-aversion in mind in the future. I for one love all the leaf changing posts and pics. I don't get that in these here parts anymore, so it's nice to see everyone else enjoying autumn. Autumn used to be my favorite time of year because of the color. Now it's simply the time of year when it stops being hot. That's doesn't stir up as much emotion as visual seasonal change.

I was born here in Ohio and found that I missed the seasons during the years I lived down south. Fall is definitely my favorite, though. I used to like winter a lot, too, but now I have to pay to heat a big, old house and that kind of takes the thrill out of it.

15. Scott says:

Yeah, but how do you zero in on the stuff you actually like? I signed myself up for a few e-mail lists at some point, but they promote things like Def Leppard and Insane Clown Posse intermingled with 53 bands I've never heard of. Perhaps I can modify the settings.
    Do you keep up with artists' web sites? (Yikes, big job.) Subscribe to a wonderful centralized live-performance database? Have a secret RSS feed that magically tells you about the exact shows you want to see?

I'm on the Dan Bern mailing list and the Joe Pernice mailing list, but that's about it. I just check the listings for the Southgate House every couple weeks and sometimes see tour info on Pitchfork. I didn't even know Leonard Cohen was doing a fall tour until my parents told me. The only reason they knew I liked him was that I'd given some thought to seeing him on his spring tour.(Oh, the ad down at the bottom is telling me Phish is coming to town. I think I'll skip that one, thank you.)

17. LBeeeze says:

I just saw a commercial for his show in St. Louis. Those were the same backup singers who sang with him when I saw him on PBS. They were all really good.

I'm glad you asked. (I was wondering that, too.)

Lol! I have been walking through all my leaves and wondering if I should send you some more, Amy! They sure are gorgeous!

I may regret asking this but why did you take a picture of the back of the concert poster?It was all curvy from being rolled up in rubber bands. I had to flatten it out faced down.

and that warranted a picture? and no front of the poster picture? see, I knew I'd regret asking. And then there was spam.

I couldn't take the front of the poster picture because it was all rolly and curvy. I've got to give it a couple days to unroll.

24. DrHGuy says:

I love the marquee photo and would like permission to post it with some other shots of banners, signs, posters, marquees, etc promoting Leonard Cohen concerts and shows. If you could email me about this and how you would like the credit to read, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks
    Allan
    ~AKA DrHGuy at Heck Of A Guy

That’s cool with me. I’m not sure how credits work, but I think a link back here or just my name (with the five dashes) would be fine with me. Thanks.

25. DrHGuy says:

I just posted the shot at Signs Of Leonard Cohen #162 – Columbus, Ohio, October 27, 2009 along with the only other photo of the Palace marquee promoting the Leonard Cohen concert I’ve discovered.

Thank you.

Allan
    ~AKA DrHGuy at Heck Of A Guy

26. Pingback: “This Cohen fellow, he’s in real life some sort of registered, karma-toting, certified Zen monk, so perhaps [at the 2009 Columbus concert] we saw actual perfection” | DrHGuy: The Leonard Cohen Online Journal

27. Pingback: Rare Sign Of Leonard Cohen: Columbus, Ohio – October 27, 2009 | DrHGuy: The Leonard Cohen Online Journal