Marah @ the Southgate House (7/2/09) (part 1)

This concert hasn’t happened yet, but it’s scheduled to take place at 9:00 tonight.  I’ve decided to go ahead and write my review because every other time I’ve tried to see Marah in concert, something has happened that kept me from it.  I’ve been trying to track them down since 1998.  That was the year I got Let’s Cut the Crap and Hook up Later on Tonight for my birthday.  I remember my parents bought me the CD at Everybody’s Records and then we went to the movies in the building that now houses my gym.  I don’t remember what we saw.  I could look it up, though.  I write everything down.

But anyway, one time I was scheduled to see Marah up in Columbus.  I don’t remember exactly what happened, but either the band or I ended up in Columbus on the wrong night.  Another time the band broke up a couple days before I was scheduled to see them.  These bastards are hard to catch.  So I thought that if I went ahead and wrote my review, then it would be impossible for the concert to not take place.  How can there be a review of something that never happened?  It wouldn’t make any sense.  So here we go:

Blah, blah, blah, concert, blah, blah, Bielanko, blah, blah, acoustic, blah, blah, blah.  Blah, blah, blah, kick out the jams, blah, blah, blah.  And then, blah, blah, merch table, blah, blah, annoying jerk, blah, $15?  P’shaw!  Blah, blah, Serge, blah, blah.  Blah, blah, blah, blah.  Heck yeah.  Blah, blah, setlist.

I’m also happy to announce that I found my 300th ba-ba song while listening to Marah this afternoon.  It’s “The Hustle” from their 2005 record, If You Didn’t Laugh, You’d Cry.

Here are a couple of my usual concert scans:

Marah ticketMarah flyer
This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Marah @ the Southgate House (7/2/09) (part 1)

Um, I hope that flyer isn't for this show or you missed it by a month!! oh wait never mind, the ticket says the right date. whew! Have fun. Not too many left on your must see list, huh? (I know it kind of crumbled after Nick Cave…)

Putting the wrong date on the flyer is par for the course when it comes to me and Marah. I've double checked the dates, though. The venue and band websites both agree that the concert is tonight.As far as the list goes, it's pretty much down to Marah, Iron & Wine, and a guy named Neal Casal. Oh, and Mark Mulcahy, but he doesn't really tour.

Oh I think I have a song by Neal Casal. either that or it's a song about Neal Casal. Or maybe it's a song about Neal Cassady, maybe that's it. I don't know. I'm stupid.
    I don't know if I have any other than the band I'm going to see on Friday for free, Illinois (they have a ba-ba song). But that's not like the Nick Cave holy grail or anything. That's a "they're local and I still haven't seen them" kind of thing. Okay back to cleaning. Or maybe I'll eat.

I hope it is/was a good concert and makes up for all the times you didn't quite see them. That's funny about the type on the flyer (good eye, Cranky!).
    Also, congratulations on the 300th ba-ba song. I found a few more, scribbled them on a post-it note, and lost it. Oops.

I have at least a hundred Neal Casal songs, but I've never heard a song about Neal Casal. I wonder who would write (ooh, four w-words right in a row) such a thing.

I'm not sure what to expect. I recently found out that one of the brothers quit the band. Marah was always the Bielanko brothers and a rotating assortment of bandmates. Fortunately, the one who sang most of the songs decided to stick with it, but I'm not sure how good he's going to be on his own. I haven't been this disappointed in a band line-up since Isobel Campbell quit Belle & Sebastian a couple days before I saw them.(Throwing away a list of ba-ba songs? That's terrible.)

I didn't throw it away; I lost it! You've seen my messy little piles of scribbled notes to self, no? Eventually I'm sure it will resurface, perhaps this weekend when I finally go through what has been piling up on my desk/table since I got back from Cincinnati.

oh yeah, it's called Neal Cassady by the Weather Underground. But I've heard of Neal Casal.

I'm sure it will resurface, perhaps this weekend when I finally go through what has been piling up on my desk/table…I'm hoping my camera case shows up, too. I know you stole it.

I wish I could find it. If I stole it, it wasn't on purpose. It might have gotten sucked into the black hole of disarray that I carried into and out of your home, but I'm pretty sure once I got home it would have been obvious in the pile of the papers.

11. Pingback: Marah @ the Southgate House (7/2/09) (part 2) | Outgoing Signals