PJ Harvey & John Parish @ the Madison Theater (6/3/09)

Maybe when I write this post I’ll mention my Top Ten Concerts to See list, and how the last time I updated it, PJ Harvey was in the #9 slot.  Maybe I’ll write about how I found Rid of Me at a record store in Toronto in 1993 and bought it solely for the back cover art.  Maybe I’ll write about how I used to put that record on whenever I wanted to clear my dormroom of unwanted college friends.  (To this day, I’ve yet to find a better song for breaking up social activities.)  Maybe I’ll mention that I own all the PJ Harvey records except for the two she released with John Parish.  Maybe I’ll write about how she’s playing nothing but songs from those two records on her current tour.  Maybe I’ll write about how I didn’t really want to go to the concert, but knew I’d regret it forever if I stayed home.  Maybe I’ll write about how I never actually decided to go; I just found myself in my car driving to Kentucky.  Maybe I’ll mention that I’m glad I went even though I wasn’t familiar with a single song they performed.  Maybe I’ll mention something about Polly Jean dancing around barefoot and how she sort of reminded me of a scary marionette.  Maybe I’ll mention that 75% of the men onstage wore hats.

Maybe I won’t do any of that.  Maybe I’ll just post the setlist and go to bed.

Main set: Black Hearted Love/Sixteen, Fifteen, Fourteen/Rope Bridge Crossing/Urn With Dead Flowers in a Drained Pool/Civil War Correspondent/The Soldier/Taut/Un cercle autour du soleil/The Chair/Leaving California/A Woman a Man Walked By–>The Crow Knows Where All the Little Children Go/Passionless, Pointless/Cracks in the Canvas/Pig Will Not

Encore: False Fire/April

Or maybe I’ll post a few pictures and then go to bed.  Yes, I think that’s what I’ll do.

PJ Harvey adPJ Harvey ticketPJ Harvey setlistJUN 3rd PJ HARVEY & JOHN PARISHPJ Harvey & John Parish

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to PJ Harvey & John Parish @ the Madison Theater (6/3/09)

[this may be good]
    One of my all-time favorite posts of yours mentioned the use of the Rid of Me at a hypothetical dinner party.

I remember that one. I think that was the first place where I mentioned the room-clearing powers of the second PJ Harvey record. I guess I'm recycling a bit.

All right, [this really is good]. Hey, recycling is good, especially when the original material is good. I loved that post (and am trying right now to find it again, but the obvious tags aren't working).

4. Piper says:

When I was a very young teenager she was one of the few musicians in my rotation and though I don't really listen to her music much anymore I'll always love it.

5. Ha! I have not bought any of her albums in a while. She is one of the very few women musicians I like, wonder why I stopped. I only have two CD's and the rest are on Tape still….

I don't listen to her much anymore either. The last one of hers that I really liked was 2000's Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea. I always thought she would be an interesting live performer, though. I was right.

…the rest are on TapeI used to have a PJ Harvey tape, too. It was a bootleg of radio sessions. I remember it had "Wang Dang Doodle" on it. Sadly, I sold it in a garage sale many years ago. I think I got a quarter.

8. Scott says:

WHAT? PJ Harvey was in town last night? CRAP! I've really gotta start paying attention to live music listings. Damn.
    (Seems the string version of "Man-Size" would be especially good for clearing a room.)

I found out about the concert from a City Beat ad (see above pic). I got lucky as I don't usually read City Beat.

10. Mr. L found a demo tape from the band "lotion" at a thrift store in Cali and he had a really hard time finding the CD… I think he found it, otherwise we just have it on tape. I have a hard time rebuying a CD when I paid good money for the tape. Hahah!

11. a says: