Hall and Oates @ the Palace Theatre (12/3/07)

[WARNING: This concert review features the word “asshole” quite a few times.  It originally featured much harsher language, but I toned it down so as not to offend those with tender ears.  For example, there’s a place where I really wanted to write “drunken fucks”, but I went with “drunken assholes” instead.  It doesn’t quite have the charm of the original, but it gets the point across anyway.]

Intro: Why I Went to a Hall & Oates Concert
I’m a casual Hall & Oates fan at best.  I bought a $3 copy of their greatest hits a couple years ago.  I only know the twelve songs on that CD and “Out of Touch”.  So why did I drive 200 miles to see Hall & Oates perform at the Palace Theatre in Columbus?  To answer that question, we have to take a trip back to 1991.

The second concert I ever saw was the Moody Blues at the Timberwolf Amphitheatre.  The opening act for that show was scheduled to be Hall & Oates.  It was even printed on the ticket stub: “the Moody Blues w/Hall & Oates”.  For reasons I never was able to figure out, Hall & Oates didn’t show up.  Instead, a horrible hair metal band called Neverland took their place.  It was all strutting and leather pants and hairspray and lame balladry.  Neverland remains, to this day, the worst thing I’ve ever seen live on a stage.

Hall and Oates @ the Palace Theatre (12/3/07)

(8/13/91)

So I was left with a ticket stub that made it look like I’d seen the Moody Blues and Hall & Oates.  I didn’t think much of it at first, but as the years went by and my ticket stub collection grew, I began to find this incredibly annoying.  The only way I could fix this inconsistency was to actually track down Hall & Oates and see them in concert.  (It occurs to me now that I could’ve just thrown the old ticket stub in the garbage or found something more important to worry about.)

Christmas Set: The Good
The current tour is called the Home For Christmas tour.  Hall & Oates perform a set of Christmas songs, take a brief intermission, and then come back for a second set of hits.  I was a bit suspicious of this format, as I’d never heard the guys sing a Christmas song before.  It turns out they do a pretty good job.  They played nine Christmas songs, four of which would qualify as “classics”.  My favorites were “It Came Upon A Midnight Clear” and “The Christmas Song”.  The remaining songs were originals or covers written by contemporary musicians.  Who knew Robbie Robertson had a Christmas song…and a good one at that?!  The Christmas set was enjoyable throughout and really got me into a festive mood.

Christmas Set: The Bad
It’s a good thing I don’t have the ability to murder people with my brain.  If I had that power, then the obnoxious assholes sitting behind me wouldn’t have made it out of the Palace Theatre alive.  In all my years of concert-going, I don’t think I’ve ever seen audience members as inconsiderate as these.  How inconsiderate?  One of them was so oblivious to social graces that he saw fit to shout into his cellphone while Hall & Oates were onstage singing “O Holy Night”.  I’m sorry…I’m not a religious man by any means, but even I think a song about the birth of Jesus deserves more respect than that.  Oh, and “Maneater” isn’t a Christmas song, so there’s really no need to shout for it during the Christmas set, you drunken assholes!!

Greatest Hits Set: The Good
Hall & Oates haven’t always been the coolest guys around, but there’s no denying that they’ve had some great songs through the years.  Even the most ardent music snob would have a hard time saying anything against “She’s Gone” or “Sara Smile”.  Those two songs were performed back-to-back and were definitely highlights for me.  In addition to those, they played “Out of Touch”, “Say It Isn’t So”, “I Can’t Go For That”, “Rich Girl”, and “You Make My Dreams”.  The best part–and something that had worried me going in–was that their voices have both aged very well.

Greatest Hits Set: The Bad
The assholes behind me began throwing their drink cups.  The back of my fleece now smells like whiskey.

Encore: The Good
Hall & Oates finished the night was a version of “Jingle Bell Rock”.  Fake snow fell from the ceiling.  It was festive and fun and made a wonderful ending to a thoroughly enjoyable evening of live music.  I was surprised I enjoyed myself as much as I did.  I’m glad I went.

Encore: The Bad
Of course, I couldn’t get out on a highlight.  As soon as the houselights went on, the loudest of the assholes behind me shouted out, “I can’t believe they ended with that shit!”

As always, here’s the setlist:

Hall and Oates @ the Palace Theatre (12/3/07)

(Hall & Oates setlist notes)

This entry was posted in uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Hall and Oates @ the Palace Theatre (12/3/07)

1. Wow! Yours TOTALLY trumps my story! I would be SO PISSED!!!!! I am the bitch who is not scared to call security to get the drunken fucks GOne!Hall and Oats? really? well, I would have never guessed. : )

2. Scott says:

Getting whiskey on you counts as assault, doesn't it? So, like, punching the idiot in the mouth would be self-defense, right?
    Being kicked out of a Hall & Oates Christmas concert for fighting. Now that would be a story for the ages.

You're the one who calls security. I'm the guy who has to fight the urge to stick a pen in somebody's ear. So far, I've made it through my concert-going career without much bloodshed. I have a particularly frightening stare (that I can't back up physically) that usually shuts people up. It didn't work last night, though.

It's funny that you would mention that. I was sitting there trying to enjoy myself, but at the same time I was wondering what the ramifications would be if I turned around and started punching dudes in the throat. I came to two conclusions:
    1.) I would get beat up.
    2.) I would end up in jail.
    Even taking those conclusions into consideration, I thought it might be worth it just for the story. I actually thought, "now that's a post people would read." Vox is slowly taking over my life.

5. Bookmole says:

It's a bitch, when people are just stupid like that! Glad the music was worth it. I once told two girls off at a Faithless concert for chatting – Look, if you wanna chat, go to the bar, OK? – but I am a butch looking 50 yr old with mad staring eyes, and they were very scared of me, whereas you had drunken guys. I would have left them alone and fumed too. You're not alone!

The thing that scared me was that all the guys had otherwise attractive girls with them…girls who were just as drunk and obnoxious. I long for the days when people had more respect for performance and for the enjoyment of others.

7. Haha! I could glare at people, but they would mostly just laugh. I have never been in a fight, I will just tattle. I really wanted to cut their toes off, I did smash her toes that one time "accidentally" I am too passive………..

8. Julie says:

What is it about the Palace Theater and drunk, obnoxious people? I had a couple behind me during a Damien Rice concert in May. Damien Rice, possibly the least-rowdy contemporary act in existence that isn't a classical act or the Wiggles.

I blame it on the fact that OSU is just a couple miles up the road. I have nothing against the school itself, but it has one of the largest populations of drunk, obnoxious people anywhere.
    I would really like to see Damien Rice…especially if he brought Lisa Hannigan with him. Their voices sound so good together.

10. Julie says:

Wait, you mean the Palace in Columbus? I meant the Palace in Louisville. My guess? It's just something to do with Palaces.He won't bring Lisa Hannigan with him since they broke up, dammit. I think that was my biggest disappointment about that concert, because I adore their voices together.

I've never seen a concert in Louisville. For some reason, I don't consider it in my driving range…although I've driven to Chicago for shows before. I should keep an eye on Louisville concerts.
    I wasn't aware that Damien & Lisa were a couple. Couldn't they have stayed together for us, the listening public?!

12. Julie says:

Louisville is only about an hour and a half, and it's a nice drive.They were– and it was apparently a very messy breakup. They should have thought of us before so thoughtlessly screwing up what could have been the greatest musical partnership since The Carpenters. Except they were brother and sister.The Captain and Tennille?

13. Julie says:

Another musical couple: Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova from Once. She was 17 when the movie was made; I believe she's now 19 and Glen Hansard is in his late 30s. Go Glen, but for god's sake, don't screw it up. I love how their voices sound together.

I've still got a few years to go before my late 30s, but I can tell you now that I'd get maced so fast if I even thought about approaching a 19 year old. Then again, I'm not a talented singer/songwriter with an attractive accent.
    The DVD of Once is coming out on the 18th. I'm looking forward to it. I hope they put subtitles on it as I had some difficulty making out what they were saying in a couple scenes.
    I hope those two stick together. I'm looking forward to future releases.

15. Julie says:

I'm hoping to pick up Once on DVD as well, for exactly the same reason. Plus, it's one of the sweetest movies I've seen in a while, without being treacly.I'm guessing Irglova isn't your average 19-year-old, but would most reasonable guys even be interested in one (beyond the Hot Young Sex thing)? The guy I'm dating is in his mid-40s (to my late-20s) and he says I'm the only 20-something he's been interested in, ever, because most of them are vapid and aimless (or baby-crazy).

I would be very happy to meet some vapid and aimless 20-something women. It sounds like we'd have a lot in common.
    (True confession: I had to look up the word "vapid".)

17. Julie says:

It's okay. I'm one of those crazy multiple-degreed english people. We use words like vapid just to feel superior.(You don't strike me as vapid or aimless.)

18. Great post, deserving the TIG!

19. Scott says:

Wa-hoo! Celebrity status is yours! Congrats!

20. damn…the same thing happened at the Hall & Oates concert in Boston this past Saturday night!

I thought breaking the show up into Christmas and Hits sets was a good idea. I don't understand why people get so upset about it. Did your ticket mention it was a Christmas show? Mine didn't, but I knew going in that it the set was going to be heavy on Christmas songs. I guess some people might have been taken by surprise. Mostly, I think people drink too much in public.

22. It wasn't on the ticket, but given the fact their latest CD was a collection of holiday songs, I figured (hoped!) they'd be doing some! I was just shocked at how rude people were. I mean…it's Hall & Oates! Where did this rowdiness come from? And why are people so obsessed with Maneater? Bunch of weirdos. After the show, as we were all leaving, I noticed one guy slap their tour bus and say something to the effect of "What about Maneater? One on One? Aholes!" and another guy say, ok, where are we going to drink now. Who knew that people like that would like Hall & Oates.

Oh oh here she comes
    Watch out boys, she'll chew you up
    Oh oh here she comes
    She's a maneater
    Sure, it's a classic 80s hit, but the lyrics kinda suck. It would've been fun to hear, but I'm not going to cuss the band for leaving it out. They're probably embarrassed by it.

24. dude says:

I went to the Beacon Theater, NYC

Well, I hope you had a good show and got to hear all the songs you wanted to hear…even if one of them was "Maneater".

26. Pingback: Please Don’t Drive 88: A Vox Retrospective | Outgoing Signals

27. Rusty Banks says:

Hi, I’m Rusty Banks, Content Director of Stubstory.com and I found your website today. I was curious about the possibly of integrating some of your ticket stubs and the stories behind them into what we are doing.

Would you take a look at http://www.stubstory.com and see if you’d care to share some stories?

When you have a second – can you shoot me an email to talk about whether you have an interest in having your stories appear on Stubstory.

I’m looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks